Google
 
Internet Goosing the Antithesis

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Mr. Neil is here

Hey gang. I'm Neil; commonly going by Mr. Neil or Neilsama online.

I'll keep the intro short. I grew up in what I guess you would call a universalist household. There was a belief in God, and sometimes Jesus was mentioned, but there were no religious practics. Heaven was simple; Good people went up, and bad people went down. We never went to church. I was brought up and encouraged to pursue scientific answers. Aside from God belief, mystical thinking was completely discouraged.

I became an atheist at some point between the ages of eight and ten. I think it was the exposure to the religion that did it more than anything. Somewhere between my astonishment of what real Christians believe and my realization of other religions, I couldn't find any acceptable reason to hold theistic belief. It was always a case of special pleading.

So I "deconverted", and I've been a happy atheist ever since.

As far as my role here, I guess I'm the new guy for Question Of The Day. Franc wants me to ask more social questions, and I think I can do the job. I'm a little overwhelmed here at times, because I'm not an ethicist. I guess I'm more of a science freak. I came into the whole freethought community as someone who was alarmed by the anti-scientific climate that continues to grow.

I think I can be more fun than Franc, and I hope I can toss some good questions at you guys.

Post a Comment


4 Comments:

At 10/30/2005 2:40 AM, Blogger Francois Tremblay declaimed...

"I think I can be more fun than Franc"

Now now, that's not setting your sights very high for an introduction. You could have aimed for "more fun than a barrel of HIV-riddled monkeys", at a minimum. ;)

Seriously, it's nice to have you on the team. I think that together we can make this group blog work.

 
At 10/30/2005 6:16 PM, Blogger TV's Mr. Neil declaimed...

Yeah, I suppose there's not much to deconvert from. It might be more accurate to say that I simply changed my mind about theism.

 
At 10/31/2005 9:23 AM, Blogger Zachary Moore declaimed...

Neil-

Great to have you on board!

 
At 11/02/2005 11:35 AM, Blogger Aaron Kinney declaimed...

Vilkommen! Did I spell that right?

 

<< Home