Google
 
Internet Goosing the Antithesis

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Penn Gillette : "There Is No God"

It's the essay that was heard round the world, a resounding call for atheism. Penn Gillette deserves an award for standing up for materialism on national radio :

I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond Atheism. Atheism is not believing in God. Not believing in God is easy -- you can't prove a negative, so there's no work to do.
(...)
So, I'm saying, "This I believe: I believe there is no God."

I have love, blue skies, rainbows and Hallmark cards, and that has to be enough. It has to be enough, but it's everything in the world and everything in the world is plenty for me. It seems just rude to beg the invisible for more. Just the love of my family that raised me and the family I'm raising now is enough that I don't need heaven. I won the huge genetic lottery and I get joy every day.

Believing there's no God means I can't really be forgiven except by kindness and faulty memories. That's good; it makes me want to be more thoughtful. I have to try to treat people right the first time around.

Believing there's no God stops me from being solipsistic. I can read ideas from all different people from all different cultures. Without God, we can agree on reality, and I can keep learning where I'm wrong. We can all keep adjusting, so we can really communicate.
(...)
Believing there is no God gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-o and all the other things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have.


Preach on.

Post a Comment


7 Comments:

At 11/22/2005 11:06 PM, Blogger Nielsio declaimed...

He is a believer though. He believes the official story on 9/11 the THEISTIC government and conformist media told him without any kind of evidence (yes: there is _still_ no evidence for the official story). Not only does he profess belief, he ranted about it on television. So much for skepticism.

(he a patriot too I think)

 
At 11/22/2005 11:09 PM, Blogger Nielsio declaimed...

But yey on the atheism thing, where he seems to be on the right track.

 
At 11/23/2005 4:27 AM, Blogger Martin declaimed...

[eye roll] Whatever, dude.

 
At 11/23/2005 9:36 AM, Blogger Nielsio declaimed...

Yes, let's pretend these things never happened:
http://911research.wtc7.net/sept11/analysis/anomalies.html

And just pretend NIST isn't holding 6,899 photographs and over 300 hours of unreleased video recordings.

Also let's pretend the 9/11 investigation wasn't the White House investigating the White House, but a cross-disciplinary, international team of scientists and engineers.

 
At 11/23/2005 10:48 AM, Blogger Francois Tremblay declaimed...

Niels, you're diverting the topic of my entry. We all know the US government is shit and 9/11 is a fraud. But please cut it out.

 
At 11/23/2005 10:59 AM, Blogger Aaron Kinney declaimed...

Penn rocks. But for some reason the NPR link in this article says not found.

 
At 11/23/2005 11:34 PM, Blogger Martin declaimed...

Tell me, Nils, is the word "competent" one you'd use to describe the Bush administration in any way?

 

<< Home