Google
 
Internet Goosing the Antithesis

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Explaining Spiritual Orientation

The Atheist Spy has responded to my criticism of his "spiritual orientation" thesis. From his blog:

So Zachary got it backwards: He says that someone is either born a theist, whose mind hungers for supernatural but unecessary and meaningful things, or an atheist, bound to reject all supernatural ideas by the use of reason. What I said is that, by the time you're an adult, either you need meaning and purpose in the world, or you don't. If you need it, then this need usually is fulfilled by supernatural things - and these things (or something like them) to you ARE necessary, because that's what this weird hunger is all bout.
I still think that I'm a counterexample to his thesis- as a Christian, the desire for meaning and purpose was a big part of my faith, but my apostasy gave me the intellectual tools needed to see that seeking answers in Christianity is irrational.

Post a Comment


0 Comments:

<< Home