Google
 
Internet Goosing the Antithesis

Monday, September 25, 2006

I Got Tagged by KA!

My good friend KA from Biblioblography has tagged me with a book-reading meme. It took me a little while, but here are my answers. I took the liberty of listing some books more than once, and listing more than one book for some answers. Enjoy!

1.A book that changed your life

For better or worse? For worse, it has to be the Bible. I spent 17 years of my life feeding off that tome of mental feces. For better it has to be Atheism: A Reader, edited by S.T. Joshi. That book is just a great collection of letters, essays, and excerpts from some great thinkers on the topic of atheism. It blew my mind when I first read it.

2. A book you've read more than once

There aren't many books I've read more than once. But one of them is After Life by Simon Funk. That's a great book!

3. 1 book you'd want on a desert island

This one's easy. My choice is the same as KA's. The SAS Survival Guide.

4. 1 book that made you giddy

Atheist Universe by David Mills, because his writing style is so enjoyable for an atheist and/or lover of science.

5. 1 book you wish that had been written

A decent defense for the existence of God.

6. 1 book that made you sob

I don't think this has ever happened, but My Left Foot by Christy Brown came close.

7. 1 book you wish had never been written

All Abrahamic Scriptures, especially the Bible. Although I concede that if those hadn't been written, others would likely have taken their place.

8. 1 book you're currently reading

The Quran, and man is it a pain in the ass to get through! The damn book keeps putting me to sleep. I've been making sure to read it without washing my hands just out of spite for the retards that wrote it and the schizophrenics that believe it. The thing is more monotonous than a skipping record player. "Woe to the unbelievers!" Yes we understand that. Now what? "Great is the penalty that they incur!" Yea, yea, what else? Seriously! The degree to which the Quran vows after-life penalties for unbelievers just reeks of over-the-top insecurity about the validity of the truths that the book declares. It’s absolutely pathetic.

9. 1 book you've been meaning to read

The Book of Mormon. I read the intro parts where the witnesses attest to its divine nature and Mr. Smith describes how he received it, and the story is just so ridiculous that it discourages me from wasting my time reading the whole thing, but I'm determined to get through it sooner or later. I've also been told that the book says "And so it came to pass," more than Homer Simpson says "D'oh," and Imp sure that that will annoy me to no end once I dive into it.

Now comes the part where I tag others. I have decided to keep it consensual and hereby tag anyone who wishes to take up the challenge. If you like, simply make your own answers to the list, post them on your blog, and provide a link in the comments section here.

Post a Comment


5 Comments:

At 9/26/2006 5:59 PM, Blogger Krystalline Apostate declaimed...

Interesting to read about what you read. ;)
I've noted that most atheists, when asked about the deserted island thingamabob, they mostly go for the pragmatic read: how to build a raft, survival guides, etc.
I'll be posting on mormonism in the very near future.
The Koran is a bit of a snoozer: I'm more partial to Idries Shah's Way of the Sufis, myself.

 
At 9/27/2006 8:53 AM, Blogger Heathen Mike declaimed...

Hey there, I put a post up on my page as well. You can find it here should you so choose. Thanks for a fun bit!

 
At 9/28/2006 8:26 PM, Blogger breakerslion declaimed...

"The degree to which the Quran vows after-life penalties for unbelievers just reeks of over-the-top insecurity about the validity of the truths that the book declares. It’s absolutely pathetic."

By all the made-up gods in the Marvel Comics "Thor" Universe, I have never seen it said better. Ditto the drowse factor! With all those ardent followers, I asked myself, "Is it me?"

Truth is finite. Bullshit is infinite. It's an uphill battle.

 
At 9/29/2006 5:05 PM, Blogger Aaron Kinney declaimed...

Thanx Beakerslion!

"Truth is finite. Bullshit is infinite. It's an uphill battle."

Thats a good quote too! :)

 
At 1/22/2008 12:13 AM, Blogger Our Family declaimed...

I happened to stumble across this site and read what your comments/attitudes toward the Book of Mormon are. I find it impressively naive that you would have such a negative attitude about a book that you have never read. If you started out every book like you'd quit reading really quick.
With that said, I respect any decision made by anyone who has given it a chance (not butchering before reading it) and still not believed its contents. That's the beauty of personal choice.

 

<< Home